Thursday, September 12, 2013

Editorial into Fashion

Fashion photography has only recently become a work in progress for me. While I’ve always been fascinated by it, I never really did fashion shoots before now. I would argue I still haven’t done fashion shoots. Fashion always influenced my work in some way or another, but it was never the “right time” for me to explore it. Everything up to this point has gotten me closer and closer. In my darkroom photography courses I learned to appreciate photography and formulate shoot concepts. I also learned that I loved photographing people, and that landscapes made me want to smash my camera equipment; all in some way conducive to fashion photography. When my professors pointed out fashion commentaries creeping into my work, something just clicked. Now I photograph for a vintage fashion blog, Hotsy Totsy Vintage, and my work has become more and more editorial.

I’m optimistic that if I just keep pushing it up this hill I will eventually get it over the edge of ‘editorial’ into the magical nonsense world of ‘fashion’. I hope, dear reader, you can stick it out and watch that change happen on my blog and website. I also hope you witness many design-based changes to my site as I (maybe, possibly) someday learn how to use the internet. Or make enough money to pay someone else to be good at using it for me.


This photoshoot is one I did for Hotsy Totsy Vintage. When looking through my shoots this one struck me as one of my more editorial. You can see other pictures from the shoot and read about the vintage clothes involved by clicking here.







To end this post, the definitions of “editorial” and “fashion” courtesy of the Merriam-Webster dictionary online:

Editorial:
1. Of or relating to an editor or editing (an editorial office)
2. Being or resembling an editorial (an editorial statement)

Fashion:
1. The make or form of something; archaic: kind, sort.
2. A distinctive or peculiar and often habitual manner or way; mode of action or operation 
3. A prevailing custom, usage, or style; the prevailing style (as in dress) during a particular time;  a garment in such a style; social standing or prominence especially as signalized by dress or conduct

Thanks for reading,
Cindy



Model and Stylist: Sasha Anderson